of Neunkirchen, & Wellesweiler, Saarland & Zinswiller, Elsass also to USA. GENEALOGY)
Pennsylvania Found on the Mormon Church Microfilm Number 1015827, Item

15 (the last 16 pages of the John Mitchell Scrapbook, V. 3) (This typed paper was edited and typed by Robert Neil Dowell, great-great-grandson of George W. ANSHUTZ. Where George appears as George (George is underlined), that is George W.

It is suspected that George was a son of Philip ANSHUTZ (one of the four brothers this paper is about). It was edited and typed for legibility, but misspellings and other information appears as on the microfilm. Where the name George appears in red, he is George W. ANSHUTZ. 
George W. ANSHUTZ was born near Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA, and as a young man moved to New Orleans, Louisiana. There he became a cabinet maker (this is why it is suspected that George was a son of Philip, because according to this sketch Philip had a son George that did that very thing. George married Elizabeth Wagner, had three sons in Louisiana, moved to Switzerland County, Indiana, had more children, then moved to Meade County, Kentucky. George died in Kentucky and Elizabeth took his body back to Indiana for burial. Elizabeth died several years later and is buried next to George. 

1st Part The writer of the sketch, of the Anshutz family, being one of the oldest, if not the oldest of the Anshutz, now living, back as he can recollect, and what he heard from his father while young boy. Their origen (origin) in Europe near the City of Stonsburg (Strasburg ?), on the River Rine (Rhine). Strasburg lies on the River but these works were several miles from the River down and on the River bottom about 30 miles from City. Will give the history of each of each of the bro. (brother's) families pretty fully before going to the other so you will mix them as I am now down to my day I can give it exact. In the years 1775 or 1780 lived four Brothers, in the Village of Sinsville (Today, Zinswiller, 67, Bas-Rhin, Alsace, France MAP) will name them according with their ages, George, Philip, Peter, and Andrew. (This town was noted for Manufacute (manufacture) of Iron Forges, Furnaces, and Castings) I guess at the ages of these four brothers, judgeing (judging) from their families, as I met them. George and Philip left left (left appears 2 times in the original) Europe for America about the year 1775 or 1780 (1891), went direct (directly) to the City of Pittsburg (Pittsburgh), Pa. Pittsburg for its coal and Iron workers found and engaged once in their old business. George in seeking for Iron ore, left Pittsburgh, went to Hunting (Huntingdon ?) County in Pennsylvania, established there an iron Fumice (Furnace), and Forge manufactory, iron there from the ore's, Lewis Carl (My son's Williams Father in law (father-in-law).) chopped wood and made char coal (charcoal) for George Anshurtz (Anshutz) at those iom (iron) works in Hunting (Huntingdon) Comet (County ?) him in the state of Kansas, so soon as he heard the not name he came to see me, asked if I was a relative of the Geo A. from Hunting in Penn. I replied he was my fathers (father's) brother, he told me he was about the first person he ever worked for, while quite a young man. Said much about what an honest fine man he was. Carl knew of his, my uncles (uncle's) children. I at same place met another old man who said he had hauled b r (bar ?) iron for George Anshutz from Hunting Huntingdon) Co. to Pittsburg, on wagons, Uncle George's Family, consisted of sons Christian, and Jacob, George being the oldest, and Daughters three Dolly Polly and Cathrine (Catherine) or Kate, the eldest daughter married a Mr. Martin Rahm a very like (likable) man indeed, Christ Anshutz and Martin Rahm were parteners (partners) in an Iron stove in Pittsburg on Wood Street and also a forwarding warehouse near the Monogahala (sp) river, east side in a large brick house (note this) George Anshutz Jr. also lived in Pittsburgh on 2nd St. south side between Smithfield St. and Cherry Alley, in a fine large brick house a private gentleman, with quite a family of 6 sons and one daughter, sons names were George, Edd, Oliver, Augustes (Augustus ?), Alfred and William, daughter Margaretta married a fine young man named Capt. Linford, who used to command the Steamer Messenger running from Pittsburgh to Cincinnatti (Cincinnati). C. P. Anshutz afterwards owned this house. I will now return to old George A's family and finish them. The firm of Anshutz & Rahm done (did) a large business in their warehouse. They much esteemed were as I often met old persons who upon hearing the name of Anshutz would ask if I was of the Anshutz, Rahm stock and extalled (extolled) them highly for their honesty and integrity. Persons while steamboating. I might say much more on this same strain but will only give one circumstance more. I might say more about these younger ones but would make my sketch to (sp) long and it would weary you. (Will mention later on) Christ A. was a director in the old and honored Bank of Pittsburgh until his death, being very old. He never married. Mr. Rahm who married Dolly the oldest daughter of Uncle George had quite a family. Three sons John, Edd and Charles, and three daughters Maria, Eliza and Louisa. John married young in Illinois and died young. Edward clerked with me awhile (a while) on the steamer, "Queen Of The West" then returned to Pittsburgh and went into a bank with my boss, (a hatter with whom I learned the hatters trade, named Mr. Alhen (??) Kramer.). Edd married Kramers (Kramer's) daughter and died young full of honor and respect. Charles Rahm I last seen (saw) in Pittsburgh. Marie the oldest daughter married, moved up the Alleghany (Allegheny) River and I lost sight of her. Elisa married a fine man in Pittsburgh. He was a preacher and much respected. He died in his pulpit while preaching. Left Eliza a widow with several daughters. Louisa was you (young ??) and I did not meet her often. Mr. Martin Rahm died early in life, Mrs. Rahm was a very pretty woman and lived to a very old age and was much respected. Mr. Rahm spent much time in our house in conversation with my father while he lived in the city of Pittsburgh. Polly Berry, uncle George's 2nd daughter married a Mr. Berry in Hunting. He died very soon and left Polly a widow with a son George. Polly died and left little George to be raised up by his Grandparents. He grew up a delicate boy, was carefully brought up by them, and lived to be a splendid man. In passing through Pittsburg (sp) I called on George. He called me uncle Philip, he said "I had to quit the business I was in, they gave me no rest, wanted me to take the Presidence (Presidency) of the large Bank." He consented at last at a salary of &6000 ($6000) per year when I last seen him.. Kate lived to be an old maid and a very cranky one, but she got married to a Mr. Halsman and had a son who a] so was in the iron business. Mr. Halsman died soon and left Kate a widow. The last I seen of her son he was in a large house in Pittsburg (sp); he was not a rugged person. Jacob the youngest of uncle George's sons did not seem to take to any kind of business. Uncle George and Aunt got too old to carry on their iron business and sold it to a man in Pittsburg (sp) named Shoeberger. Then Uncle and Ant (sp) come to Pittsburg (sp) with little George Berry, bought a fine residence overlooking the steam-boat landing below Market St. and not in the business throng. I had to bring little George with the old people. I gave you his history above. A retired handsome home where I often seen them enjoying the company of their children who were all rich. After they moved to Pittsburg (sp) I left went on the River and did not see so much of them. Was therefore not there when they died about the year 1830. 

PART 2. Philip Anshutz about 1818 lived near Washington Pa. about 22 miles from Pittsburg (sp) on a farm. (Second of the Brothers I knew little of He seemed in delicate health about this time say 1820. Phillips (Phill's) family consisted of 3 sons and 2 daughters. About this time they moved over into Westmoreland County, near Greensburg 30 miles from Pittsburg (sp) on the Philidelphia (sp) Turnpike (They seem not in any business by fanning.). In a few years they left Pennsylvania, went to some western states. I think Philip died about this time. Of the sons of Philip oldest Andrew then George and John Elisabeth & Kate. Elizabeth was married to a Mr. Asher before or about when they moved to Westmoreland Co. Pa. (Asher after they married stayed with Peter he did not prove to be much). After this we knew but little of them for years. Andrew with his family lived in Ohio, 25 miles east of Cincinnati, farming where I visited them. George the 2nd. son learned the Cabinet trade of John, knew nothing about him. (Of Geo. will way much more when I come (came) to our or Peters family. Ohio was then a territory). Kate was a fine looking woman. This family must have settled in Ohio near Columbus. I heard of a Vantrum Family who I think married Kate A Vantrum from near Columbus, went to Congress quite a man, I met a granddaughter of Kates in Ft. Scott who told me of the Van Trumps. Showed me a phamplet (pamphlet) with some speeches this man had made in Congress. This grandaughter (granddaughter) named Spoul (sp?) lives with her sons family being a widow, her son was a widower to, she told me that uncle Chris visited them once. I will pass over 3d. Bro & bring the 4t. bro. in next so as to have ours come last. 4th. Brother Andrew remained in Europe thus parted forever from his three brothers who preferred America to Europe. Andrew Anshutz was promonently (prominantly) engaged in those Iron works in Sinswiller. There was two other Villages with ironworks all owned by the same family named Deterick. Run with water power. Will name by Number. Sinswiller 1 Neaderbrun 2 Yayerdale 3. These towns were about 2 miles apart. The Anshutz and Showers were among the leading men or managers of all these three iron works bu(t) they all lived in the No. I works, Town. Andrew the youngest of the four original brothers had 3 sons & one daughter. I knew but little of her. Andrew died some seemed years after Peter and family left Europe. (I visited his widow in 185 1. seemed smart. Andrews (Andrew's) son. Henry Anshutz came to America about 1840 alone to Pittsburg (sp) only 20 years old. His two brothers came later and went to Cincinnati and soon died there. Though I was living there they did not make themselves know(n) to me. I heard of them later Henry traveled down the river then went back to Pittsburg (sp), marfeid (married?) and started a stove factory in Alleghany (sp) City. Made money fast bot (bought) property and got very wealthy. He had two sons. Dot (Don't) remember the names of the oldest but the youngest was William. The former died (single). William helped his fater (father) carry on his foundry and he also died. (Of my mothers (mother's) family). My mother's family name was Shower. She had two sisters who came to America and married. They were younger the mother (???) The aidest (oldest) married a man by the name of Morguns and I know but little of her. The youngest married a Mr. Fralic. They lived in a cabin a few miles from the river. I being down the river steam boating was seldom where they lived so saw but little of them.

Part 3. Peter Anshutz 3rd. of the original Brothers of course corresponded with his two brothers in America. Bear in mind that there was (were) no steam ships on the Atlantic Ocean at that time, nor any railroads on land in either Country. That made correspondence between Europe and America, very uncertain as well as costly, compared with the present, and very slow. There were troublesome times in Europe in those days as it was during the time of the Nepoleon (sp) wars in Europe especially in France. Latter (sp) were intercepted under suspicion on both side of the Atlantic, but Peter Anshutz in Sinswilles (Sinswiller) did get some letters from his distant brothers and they informed him that he had better come to America, and how to prepare for the journey, posted and advised him, as they had once made the trip and so advised him to go on no other vessel to cross the Atlantic but an American Merchantman. P. A. had by this time fully made up his mind to come to America but now there appeared cause for delay, (and all honor to him) his wife with a young baby, so he postponed this trip one year to enable the mother and child to be able to endue (endure) the voyage. Early in the spring of 1818 Peter Anshutz started for America with a family of seven children himself and wife and a hired girl, or nurse, to take care of those children, several being quite small. This made a family of 10 persons to see to and pay for. Peter A's family consisted of five boys and two girls, the oldest son Peter was then about 18 years old, Christ was next then came a daughter, Mararat (Margaret), then Philip and Wm. then another daughter Charlott (Charlotte) then Jacob the baby. I will now give the reason and some of the causes that brings or drives some of the people away from that country. It is not alone the seeking of a better country to live in and accumulate greater riches although no doubt many came hoping and expecting to better their condition, but such was not the case nor the can(???) that brought Peter Anshutz to America, this I know. He never expected to be better fixed in America than he was in Europe.

He was at this time over 50 years old and with so large a family in a new country where he could not even speak the language of the country to which he was going, and spending a small fortune in going, he could not expect to be any better off finicially (finacially). He left to save his boys from being drafted into the French army under Nepoleon (sp). (There is a register kept in that country of all births male when a boy come near manhood he was called for and drafted into the armies. Parents sometimes have dificulty (difficulty) in getting away with their boys wanted for soldiers.) He had five sons and the oldest only lacked a year or two of being old enough to be drafted and every two year(s) after the first was drafted one other would be taken. Going into the French army at that time was like following your sons to the grave, or to soldiers forever. This is what brought him to America. He gave up his comfortable home his high and honorable name among his neighbors and employers the owner of those three iron works- a sure and pleasant living for himself and mother of his children among their relations, all this he and his wife sacrificed by coming to America. The other ones appreciated this, the younger ones did not, being to (too) young. Peter Anshutz Sr. only lived 18 (??) years in this country. Came an entire stranger to Climate and people. The 15 years here were no years of pleasure to the parents. The oldest two Peter jr. (Jr.) and Christeen (Christian ?) being too young to aid and assist their parents to earn a living. All these seven children were now at an age to be educated. Peter jr. (Jr.) was fairly educated in Europe, was learned in the French as well as in the German, German was the home language, but all business was done in French, such as law business. That country was then under French rule but since 1371 is under the German (Prussion (sp)) Government. The start to Amer. It is now time to start. In the spring of 1818 Peter Anshutz left their old much lamented home & freinds (friends) for America, in wagons. Many friends old and young followed on foot to see them off. Tears were shed on both sides in great plenty. I think they got to the river Rhine the first day. They passed the town of Wooms, next town was Manis. Here they let the wagons go back and took a boat for Kelton, dont (don't) know how for (far) it was from place to place. (You can find these places on maps. Was in Hotel at Marrs. Mother forgot a price of bedding on leaving) After reaching Kelton they again took a boat. They next got on a canal boat through Holland to the city of Amstredarn (Amsterdam). Here we seen the first salt water. We went to a hotel and remained about three weeks I suppose waiting to get an American ship, such as his brothers that were in America had advised him to embark in. Here they seen the first negro that they had ever seen and the first brown sugar ever seen by the family loaf sugar being the only sugar used in the country. As large vessels cant (can't) get near the city of Amstredwn (Amsterdam) they went on a small like sail vessle (vessel) to Texel and here was the ship, we were to sailin (sail in) across the Atlantic Ocean named William of Baltimore. This ship left Baltimore for Africa for a cargo of Coffee, for Amasterdam (Amsterdam), and was now on her way home, entirely empty, except ballast. How long they remained at Texel I do not know, but it was several days. Ships then had no steam tow boats to tow them in and out of the harbors as now. At last we got under way with nothing on board neither freight nor passengers excepting Peter Anshutz family and sand for ballast. The cabin is in the stem of the boat and the sailors, or crew, in the forcastl(e). The whole balance of the ship was for us. We sailed through the English channel westward toward sunset every evening for 9 weeks. If we had storms I know nothing of them, I will say as it looks to me now that the voyage was a very pleasant one. Being early summer the weather was fine. The ship had got two monkeys from Africa where they had taken on the Coffee. The monkeys were about the second size that is about XXX2-1/2 (this was marked out with XXX in the original) ft hig(h). They run (ran) loose over the rigging as they pleased and the boys had much fun watching the monkeys which were up in the rigging. They were very shy.

One day Christian the 2nd son seeing the monkeys out of sight thought it a good chance to slip in and examine their nest. This was in a life boat on the main deck, in the stern of this boat. Thinking the monkeys out of sight he stooped down when up in the little boat to examine the nest. They seen him at their nest and before he could raise up they were down and jumped on his head and back and begun to woll (?) him and pull out handfulls (sp,) of hair. They did not seem to want to bite but pulled his hair severely. He got away as best he could and the monkeys were not disturbed again. Arrived in Baltimore and went to a hotel and stayed (stayed) there several days. Then engage(d) 2 or 3 road wagons with 6 horses to each. We weighed the stuff and the whole family on scales and got into the wagons and stared (started) for Pittsburg (sp). The bargain was so much 100#.

These teamsters were pleasant lively men. Stoped (stopped) at Hotel every night. Then followed another long journey and we arrived in Pittsburg (Pittsburgh) sometime in August the year 1818. Were kindly received by by (appears twice) Uncle Georges (George's) sons and others living in Pittsburg (sp). George the oldest lived in fine style. Martin Rahm who married a daughter of Uncle Georges (George's) lived on the other side of the street from George jr. (Jr.) on 2nd St. just above Smithfield St. Christ was not married. Anshutz & Rahm as a firm carried on iron stove and forwarding house on east side of Wood street near the River. Peter Anshutz Sr. son after his arrival in Pittsburg (sp) went to see his brother George who he had not seen for so many years. He went to Hunting Co. Penn. It must have been a happy meeting to both brothers. I do not remember the first time Uncle Philip met Peter. He only lived 22 miles from Pittsburg (sp) but no doubt Philip soon heard by letter and came to see his new brother and family. Postage was .25c (twenty-five cents) a single letter. A house was soon obtained on 1st. near Wood St. where the family lived. Father began bellows making and put them in Anshutz & Rahms warehouse for sale. The boys Peter, Christ and Philip and daughter Margaret went to school. None of course could speak a word of English. The parents must have had a pretty dull time as well as the children. Everything was so new and strange. I think that there were tears dropped in thinking of There (their) good old home. The two oldest boys had received a fair education in the old home. Christ was 16 and Peter was 18 but we had the advantage of having relatives who were good and safe guides for father in his business and mother in her household affairs. They could not speak with anyone unless they could talk gertnan (German).

Friends all spent much time visiting us. Mr. Rahm, a clever gentleman, was neerly (nearly) every evening in conversation with fater (father) until late in regard to the troubles and wars then going on in Europe as well as to the times in America. Each could post the other on either side of the Atlantic. These conversations between these two persons who were well posted in public affairs both in Europe and America, was listened to by the boys with great interest and profit. Father sent Peter jr. (Jr.) to learn the carpenter trade as he had worked some in wood and would have but two years to serve. Christ was put to learn the cabinet trade with a man named Geo. Wright on 4th. south side half way between Wood and Smithfield St. He served about 4 years and at the end of the time he worked journerman (journyman). Three of us children were taken sick with typhoid fever, caused by change of climate. Three down at once. Very sick. We lived two years in the city and then moved on a farm 4 miles from the City. Moved again in 3 years near East Liberty. Christ never lived at home again after he went to team the trade.

Father now put Philip to learning the hattertrade (2 words). He worked with All Kramers on Wood St. Young Peter being unsteady gave his parents much trouble. Christ heard that bigger wages could be got in New Orleans so he started down the River in a Canal boat as a hand. Uncle ####### ## Philips (Philip's) son George had also learned the cabinet trade so these two cousins both about the same age drifted together in New Orleans. Were shop mates and companions. Toward the sickly season they both left for the upper country and home. They left fearing fever. In the fall they both return (returned) to New Orleans and left again in the spring. Now I cant (can't) remember whether these two young men were now married or whether they married a year later. They were both married in New Orleans (George married Elizabeth Wagner). Father (father's) family was now living three miles below Pittsburg on the river and here Christ came home with fever and ague. He stayed until fall, time soon came to go back to his wife. He left sick as he was and would hear nothing else. He went on a Keel boat as the

River was to low for steamers. There was but few on the river anyhow. He wrote back that the fever left him as soon as he got on the boat. He brought his wife back with him the next season. George his cousin stayed in New Orleans many years. Geo. started the cabinet busness (business) in New 0 (Orleans). Christ started the cabinet business in Pittsburg (sp). Now Wm. Anshutz his brother was old enough to team the cabinet trade with him. Sister Margaret married an Anshutz a distant relation (Peter Anshutz). You will see that these boys as soon as they were old enough left home and parents to shift for themselves and all started down the river with Margarets (Margaret's) family. (Left their parents to shift for now old who had sacrificed so much for them). Father and Catherine (or Christian - it was difficult to read) bought a farm on the hill 3 miles from where the mill now stands moved into one house, had a good farm and all done (did) well. Peter married a good woman and got on slowly. Remained in Pittsburg (sp) as did Christ. Philip was about out of his 4 years time started hatting in Burgetstown 25 miles from Pittsburg (sp). Married here and moved down on the River to Wellsville, Ohio. Set up his business there 50 miles below Pittsburg (sp). The 2nd. year managed as best he could with little money to get on Flat boat, loaded it with produce, traded for hats, hot (bought) on credit and started for the Mississippi River. Christ decided to quit his Cabinet business and move to Capleon 20 miles below City of Wheeling where father and Margaret lived. He had conceived the idea of building a steam flour mill at the mouth of Captian Creek there being no mill on the river farmers on both sides of the river urged and begged some person to undertake the work. Chritst (Christ) his father concluded to undertake it. Mr. Woods the president of the North Western bank of Va. in the City Wheeling owned all the land on both sides of the river and both sides of the creek too for a mile back from the river. Woods had a store at the mouth of the creek and no one could build or do a thing at that point. Christ had not money enough to build and buy a mill sight. Christ not having money enough to build with Fathers (Father's) help looked around to borrow the needed Capital. Mr. Woods was friendly and offered to lend the money to finish the mill. His friendship was the same as a foxes for a hen (Fox did not get the hen). No doubt of this. I do not know how long a time he had to pay this borrowed money back. The amount borrowed was $1600.oo ($1600.00). Christ had at that early day not much experience in money matters and less in milling and mill building. The mill did not go# (get) off good when finished.

Some time in Oct. had promised ## ###### much grinding to many, supposing of course when finished he would soon supply all in time for them to go way south before ice came. All this grinding he had promised was to these flat boats for down the river. Some had apples and other things that could not stand cold weather. The flour was all that detained them from going south. The river is generally low in the fall. Winter pressed them hard and the time promised for all this grinding was now due and past. There was (were) ten flat boats waiting laying at the mouth of the creek. You must imagine the time poor Christ had with the flat boat traders. It required much patients (patience) on the part of the boatmen as well as on Christs (Christ's). I might say that much of the time I was there with boat too. I must now stop this mill trouble and relate the sadest (saddest) incident of my whole life. Father and others moved down from the hill to assist in building the mill. Mother and Charlotte the daughter helped board the men with Christs (Christ's) wife also. Father died before this trouble came. This was a terrible blow to all the neighbors as all had began (begun) to know him and to love him. Brother Peter had come down from Pittsburg (sp) to help at the mill so that all the brothers and sisters were present and at the bedside of thier (their) beloved father, except Philip and William. William was in Pittsburg (sp) and Philip was in Wellsville getting his flat boat ready with wheat to grind and be right in the midst of all this affair of the grinding and created quite a jealosy (jealousy) among those traders, because I had wheat to grind too, and being a brother they naturally supposed that I would be favored. Christ owed me flour for salt that I bought him and I was to get it when I came down with boat partly leaving room for the flour. Seeing how matters looked when I got there I had to leave without the flour. Peter and mother both plead the case for Christ, which was soon done. I was informed of Fathers death by letter. I must here mention a citcumstance (circumstance) that happened when I first arrived with my boat at the mill. A Mr. Bob Green who was a brawling noisy person hollowed (hollered) out to all those men saying this young man recently lost a father the best man that ever put a foot on Capteen (sp) bottom. I must put it down here. Wm. worked at his trade in Pittsburg. Josehp (sp) Woodwell came to Pittsburg (sp) while I was yet an apprentice at Mr. Kramers (Kramer's). He was a carver which is a branch of the cabinet trade. Bro. William and J. Woodwell joined and commenced the cabinet business in Pittsburg as parteners (sp). I do not know but think that Joseph W ("was not" was handwritten above line) married and Gertude (Gertrude) Woodwell came from New York and kept house for J. W. I think William boarded with them. (Of this I am not certain) William married Gertrude and began to keep house. After some time Joseph and William desolved (dissolved) thier (their) partnership. Woodwell continued the business alone and William worked for him. Will now go down the River again to Captien (sp). The mill got ## through with these flat boats and got them all started down the river south. I with the balance. Did pretty well on this trip and next fall got up another load and went on the same round and done as well as before. When I returned in the spring three of my Wellsville neighbors proposed to build a steamer and wished me to join them. They elected me superintend (superintendent) of the building of the boat. When she was finished they proposed to put me in command of her which they did. I sold out my hatter shop and went on the river for my main business until the year 1838 when I built the steamer Swollow (Swallow) which proved to be a perfect success. Before this boat was finished I seen (saw) what she was. I had not means enough of my own and had to sell stock in her to some one. I though(t) of my brothers Milliam (William) & Christ. I knew she would make money fast. Times were then good. I wrote to William to send me what money he had. He only had $500.oo ($500.00) this he sent me. I borrowed as much more from him so as to mke (make) this thing worth while. I also wrote to Christ and he sent me $1000 at once. The Swollow was more that I expected of her. Made $1500.oo ($1500.00) for each of the brothers in less than a year. Sometime in 1839 during the season of the runs with this boat I received a letter from Christ that he was to be married to Miss Rebecca Woodwell and intended to take thier (their) bridal trip to Cincinnati to me the Swollow (do not know what this is supposed to mean) and for me to let him know the time I would be ther(e). This I did and he arrived with his bride but a short time before the Swollow arrived (in part his own boat). I sold the boat that same fall for all cash and started up the river. I wrote William and Gertrude to come down to Captien and have a settlement. They came promptly and I handed such his share which was $2000.oo ($2000.00). I told William and wife about a daily line of steamers having commanded to run between the cities of Cincinnati and Louisville. Christ sopk (spoke ?) of it to Col. H. H. Lockwood saying that he though(t) Philip would win and so Col. Lockwood started for Cincinnati the first boat down. Lockwood had no acquaintance with Philip at this time (J. H. Lockwood and P. J. Anshutz became old and tried friends). Knew him through Christ. J. H. Lockwood bought $5000.oo ($5000.00) of the last stock sold. Philip succeeded (sp) and the 2 line comprimised (sp) and settled into one company. Stock paid very well. Submit this to the survivers (survivors) of the Anshutz April 26th, 1895 P. J. Anshutz The following information was found on the Internet (typed on a word processor with words joined and/or spelled exactly as it appeared: P. J. ANSHUTZ, farmer, Section 10, was a native of Germany, born in 1809. He emigrated to America and located in Ohio. Here I steamboating business on the Ohio River, where he was Pilot and Captain, following this life from 1833 to 1851, and being prominent among the steamboat men of the Ohio and the Lower Mississippi, as the builder of the Queen of the West and Swallow. In 1851, he took a trip to England, going over in the Baltic. His intention was to see the World's Fair at the Crystal Palace, which he succeeded in doing, then going from there to Paris and on with his party to Lyons, where he tired and turned through Switzerland, and down the Rhine to his old home near Strasburg; he then returned to America, and in 1878 settled on his farm in Kansas. His family consists of himself, wife and daughter, Amanda, his three sons being away from home.



Dernière mise à jour/ latest updating  31 janv. 2009